Sparking Downtown Revitalization
Downtown Forney represents the best of past, present, and future, where businesses, retail, and hospitality come together to create an energized community, an appealing lifestyle for today’s young professionals, and the potential for increased visitor traffic.
The strong appeal of small-town living only 21 miles away from Dallas is reinvigorating the Forney downtown along with a number of initiatives, businesses, and events that not only celebrate our historic legacy but continue to revitalize our infrastructure and envision an exciting new future.
Forney Revitalization Initiatives:
Completed $1.2 million streetscaping project addressing sidewalk accessibility, aesthetics, and drainage infrastructure
Addition of downtown parking to accommodate daily foot traffic and city events (funded by Forney EDC)
Establishment of a Railroad Quiet Zone and safety upgrades to four downtown railroad crossings
Expansion of the downtown’s Main Street corridor with the opportunity for a planned Victorian-style residential village
Business Growth in Downtown
Among the growing number of businesses populating the downtown, two occupy buildings owned by Forney EDC. Famed Eno’s Pizza Tavern opened its first location outside of the Dallas Bishop Arts District in Forney, and due to its success in Forney, locally owned Latham Bakery opened a second location. Two other EDC downtown projects of note include Groovy’s Boutique and Crumbzz Bistro.
For businesses considering the move to downtown Forney, there are a number of incentives available, including façade grants, redevelopment grants, and demolition grants. A complete list of incentives for businesses is available here.
There’s much to see and do in Forney throughout the year, including shopping at the Cotton Gin; sampling great cuisines, from Cajun to award-winning Texas barbeque; visiting downtown attractions like the Spellman Museum of Forney History; and joining in community-wide special events and festivals.
A Look Back
The City of Forney was founded in 1871 as a small village known as “Brooklyn.” At that time, the entire downtown consisted of a school, church, general store, saloon, and blacksmith shop. Following the arrival of the railroad, the town was renamed in 1873 for noted railroad official John W. Forney. By 1891, Forney was an agricultural center with a growing residential community, and the downtown had expanded to include a post office, bank, opera house, and two hotels. Manufacturing was introduced in 1936, producing a variety of goods, including cottonseed oil and paper and plastic products, and in 1987, Forney was proclaimed “Antique Capital of Texas” by the Texas state legislature. Today, the City of Forney is rapidly growing as an exciting new business center and a community with a high quality of life for its residents.